Music Performance Trust Fund (MPTF)
The goal of the Music Performance Trust Fund is to present live musical performances of the best quality in an effort to increase public knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of live music. The MPTF is funded by the Recording Industries of North America, and is independent of the American Federation of Musicians.
All MPTF performances must be free of charge and open to the public. Possible venues include outdoor spaces, hospitals, malls, and schools. The MPTF does not provide assistance for fundraising, political, religious or charitable events.
The percentage of support from the MPTF is 25% of musicians’ wages, pension, and HST. The co-sponsor contributes the remaining 75%. Musicians performing with MPTF co-funding are paid for a three-hour call at the union scale in the jurisdiction where the performance takes place – in this case, Local 149, Toronto. An administration fee (3% of scale wages) is payable by the co-sponsor to the Toronto Musicians’ Association in order to cover the costs of administering this programme.
Requests for co-funding should be submitted to the MPTF committee a minimum of six (6) weeks prior to the performance(s) in order for the TMA to complete the necessary paperwork. The New York MPTF office will review your request for co-funding and will notify the TMA whether or not your request has been approved.
The leader is required to file an AFM miscellaneous contract with this local and make the necessary payments (wages to side musicians, work dues, and pension). The MPTF Committee will assist in this process.
The following credit line must be read at all MPTF performances:
The music for this performance is funded by the Recording Industries Music Performance Trust Fund and _____________ (co-sponsor), in cooperation with Local 149, Toronto, American Federation of Musicians.
The MPF website contains a searchable database of MPF performances all over North America as well as additional guidelines and history. http://www.musicpf.org
For more information, contact:
Maria Pelletier or Jay Boehmer
(416) 421-1020 x230