IDENTITY FRAUD ALERT
Dear TMA149 Members,
Canadians experienced a nearly 10% increase in identity fraud and a 400% increase in mail forwarding fraud in 2016. Given these national trends we thought this was a good time to contact members with steps to protect yourself, as well as let you know of steps we are taking in order to protect our members.
We are advising that all members consider the following to protect themselves against identity fraud:
· The first step is to make sure you have not unknowingly already been a victim, by receiving free credit / consumer disclosure reports from Canada’s two principal credit agencies:
o From Equifax (1-800-465-7166) you must order the report by post in order not to be charged a fee. The request form is available here: http://www.equifax.com/ecm/canada/EFXCreditReportRequestForm.pdf
o From TransUnion (1-800-663-9980) you can view a free online version of the report by going to this site:
- If you have been a victim of identity fraud take all the steps described on the following website: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/victims-guide-victimes-eng.htm
· All members should watch the educational video and take the preventative steps on this website:
Here are the steps we are taking to increase the security of your information with TMA149:
· We are in continued discussions with AFM/CFM and the Musicians Pension Fund of Canada about the possibility of using a different unique identifier than your SIN number on contracts, and/or the possibility of using a truncated SIN number.
· At TMA149’s request the AFM/CFM has made changes to ensure that those who access the AFM/CFM database from a local can only see the information for that local, and not any other local.
If you do find a problem we advise that you contact the experts identified above to deal with this issue, if you have any further questions for local 149, please do not hesitate to contact our Systems Manager, Derek Singh at 416-421-1020 Ext 223 or .
As always your membership and your trust are extremely important to us and we are striving for the most secure atmosphere at the local and the union.
Michael Murray, Executive Director, Local 149